Human beings are at their most thriving when they are able to fully express themselves through words, choices, behaviors, arts, music and other avenues. It’s important to find and adopt ways to express yourself without causing physical, mental, emotional or spiritual harm to self or others.
Signs of Optimal Health & Wellness
Indicators of thriving include:
- Ability to communicate freely, clearly, assertively and respectfully
- Ability to identify and practice healthy forms of self expression
- Ability to feel like your emotions, thoughts and feelings have in fact been expressed, without fear retribution
Warning signs may include:
- Feeling stifled
- Inability to express emotions, thoughts and feelings at all or in healthy ways
- Self-destructive ways of expressing self
- Prolonged self-doubt
- Feeling unheard
- Physical, mental, emotional or spiritual violence or criminal behaviors
Expressing feelings, thoughts and emotions is critically important to overall physical, mental, spiritual and emotional health. In fact, suppression of these expressions can often lead to self harm, self-destruction, or resort in violent or criminal behaviors. Ask yourself: Do I feel free to express myself? Do I do so in healthy ways? Am I free to be my authentic self in my social settings, or legally?
- Explore ways to express yourself through writing, arts, participating in advocacy or other ways that make you feel heard and at ease
When you are having trouble expressing yourself, it’s important to get guidance.
If you have active thoughts or intentions of harming yourself or others:
- Dial 911; or
- Go the nearest hospital emergency room