PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS
Pursuit of happiness is a fundamental human right that involves our ability to explore, identify and do that which brings us joy. It’s important for human beings to surround themselves in environments and communities that allow them to engage in their own pursuits. This can include taking advantage of existing opportunities in one’s own community, starting new programs or activities, or traveling or moving to new communities where opportunities that align with your personal pursuits exist.
Signs of Optimal Health & Wellness
Indicators of thriving include:
- A desire and ability to explore, identify and do things that bring joy
- Being able to say what makes you happy
- Easy access to activities and opportunities you enjoy in your environment
- Sense of freedom of being able to do the things you enjoy
Indicators of warning include:
- Saying “I don’t know” when someone asks “What makes you happy?”
- Being unable to feel joy
- Persistent feelings of isolation or loneliness
- Feeling controlled
- Feeling oppressed
Being surrounded by people, things and opportunities that bring you joy is an important part of maintaining a healthy environment that leads to thriving and optimal health and wellness. When indicators of warning are present, it’s important to ask questions: Do I know what I enjoy and makes me happy? Am I surrounded by these people, things or opportunities? Do I need to make changes to my environment or surroundings?
- Explore activities and different settings to learn what brings you joy
- Make a list of things that make you happy
- Read a book, listen to music, or go out in nature
In some cases, you may feel stifled by your environment. It may be time to speak with someone to help you gain clarity.
If you have active thoughts or intentions of harming yourself or others:
- Dial 911; or
- Go the nearest hospital emergency room